Vt100 vs vt320

Turn on suggestions. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. Showing results for. Search instead for. Did you mean:.

vt100 vs vt320

Contact Email us Tell us what you think. Log In. New Discussion. Valued Contributor. Recently purchased a load of VT terminals and the function keys are not working in the application. All forum topics Previous Topic Next Topic. Honored Contributor.

vt100 vs vt320

If the application is written correctly, you shouldn't ned to re-define the keys. The application should be using terminfo to get the specification for each function key. Are you sure that the users who use these terminals have there TERM set to vt and that the entry for vt is correct. If not, make one and make the entries for the function keys correct for the terminal. If you don't know what the function keys are sending, you might try opening a file with "vi", pressing all the function keys and saving the file.

Then do a "cat -v" on the file to get the characters sent by the terminal. Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this". Fred You need to either: 1. Make the app recoginise a vt You say you set the emulation to be vt, it needs to be vt or vt Does the app support vt?

You say it's a database app.The series replaced the earlier VT seriesas a lower-cost system better able to compete with a number of VT clones that had entered the market. The VTs introduced a number of new features compared to the VTs. With the great increase in RAM available, the s added the ability to store several pages of data locally, as well as perform editing on that data entirely within the terminal. The user could scroll up and down among several pages, normally about three, perform edits, and then send all of the changes to the host in a single operation.

This required compatible host-side software to work. That memory also meant all of the series were able to store large numbers of sixel-based glyphs, allowing them to be used not only as a user-defined character set as in the earlier s, but also to produce full-screen bitmap graphics by storing a separate sixel for each location on the screen. Using either system, the terminal could display the two sessions "stacked" and switch between them, or by splitting the screen vertically to show them one above the other, or horizontally side-by-side.

Like the VTs, the VTs included a number of alternate character sets for various international uses and basic form graphics. The system shipped with five sets of 94 characters, as well as a single set with 96 graphics characters. Using sixels, any one of these sets could be replaced with user-generated characters. The system also included DEC's unique National Replacement Character Sets that allowed single characters in a set to be swapped out to match the layout of a keyboard. It supported the full range of ANSI escape codesalthough some sources state it did not decode standard color sequences even on the VT The screen itself was a inch CRT mounted on a tilt and swivel stand.

It offered a resolution of byand a number of different glyphs could be used to produce 25 lines or either 80 or columns of text, the 25th line normally being used to display status codes, like caps lock, generated locally in the terminal. The VT had two bit-planes that produced 4 shades of grey, while the VT had four bit-planes to produce 16 colors out of a palette of The s could be set to VT or VT52 mode. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Archived from the original on Digital Equipment Corporation video terminals. Namespaces Article Talk. Views Read Edit View history. Languages Add links.Hardware: apart from the terminal itself, you need the appropriate type of serial cables depends on hardware you havea serial port, and a null modem. The old beige G3 is the only OSX supported computer that have the appropriate built-in serial ports.

Basically, you simply connect the serial connector of the old terminal to the null modem whose function is to swap transmit and receive linesthen the null modem to the serial connector of your computer. Obviously, use tty. If someone try this, please post the info here. Also, your old terminal should be set at baud. If you use baud instead, use serial. Final step: next time you reboot with your old terminal properly connected and configured for VT mode and baud, you should get a login prompt on it.

Enter your login and password, and you're now able to run any command you like! This site is not responsible for what they say. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Now I just need to find a terminal The xServe has a serial port, also griffin makes something called a cubePort which replaces the modem in a G4 Cube with a serial port The exact name of the device for USB-serial interfaces varies depending on the exact device.

USB Serial". Yes, there is a space in it. Oh, I've always wanted to do that! Anyone knows where one could get ones hands on one online?

I don't live anywhere near a place that could have one Strange thing, though -- every once in a while getty goes berserk chewing up memory until it punches out and restarts.

The process servicing the VT seems especially prone to this. I haven't tried it yet but I was thinking of stuffing that on a weasel so I can admin my NetBSD server from my powerbook even when it is in single user mode. When I try to access certain external legacy devices CSUs etc. Any idea how to fix this? I've upgraded to Leopard and this no longer works. I no longer get a login prompt on the terminal.

I verified the serial line works by "cp"ing to and from the terminal.But having finished the Ansi and Vt, I have noticed that Vt and Vt are extremely similiar and the emulations are almost synonymous. So i wanted to know what the differences are between the two and whether I should simply make one emulation to cover both?

Are there big differences between them or can they be summed up easily in a reply? Joe Doupnik did something like this in MS-Kermit. You can set his program to either VT or VT, but the operational behavior is essentially identical.

1983 Computer Terminal meets 2017 *how to connect*

The two settings differ only in how the emulation responds to a terminal-type query sequence from the host. Since the introduction of the first ANSI-compatible DEC terminal, the VT, Digital Equipment Corporation has been pretty good about making each new generation of video terminal products capable of a superset of the operations that the previous generation could do.

Picture puzzle maker imessage

The VT did what the VT did plus a few tricks. There were some other VT1xx models about which I know little. Later, the VT, VT, and VT there was no VT as such added a good many capabilities such as the 8-bit multinational character setbut there was a setup option to make it seem to be a VT The VT and the VT differed only in whether a monochrome or color monitor was supplied.

One major change from the VT series was the keyboard layout, with the LK keyboard in the VT series adding numerous top-row special- function keys while omitting the single-purpose Escape key and a couple others.

The LK also introduced the Compose Character key, which to this day remains shrouded in mystery. International standards often have the effect of making all nationalities equally disgruntled.

Then there came the VT series, and the now-current VT series. There are various new features that have been introduced at each step, but if a host computer sends out a valid series of VT display codes, a listening VT will correctly format its screen display in just the same way the VT would. But really, if you think your emulation is going to be used by any large number of people, you would do them a favor by also obtaining and reading the real documentation of the terminals you are trying to emulate.

It wouldn't hurt, either, to try out a real terminal of the intended type. Richard S. The VT did what? There were some other VT1xx? Are you sure? What I have hear here is just opposite.

Very Computer

There was a UK variant of this, which was a nightmare for C programmers. After using one I insisted that we order the US layout. The Compose Character key then became a great boon. The "compose" variations were quite well thought out in a vaguely mnemonic way.

There were some other VT1xx : models about which I know little. I actually worked with both terminals Not clones, the original vt, etc. Believe me, he's sure.

vt100 vs vt320

Litterally, you were greeted with a series of blocks of four items either zeros or ones. The vt had four of these while the vt and had eight. The vt jumped ahead by comparative leaps and bounds and presented you with menu based setup screens similar to those still in use by digital today. Anyhow, just more trivia. EDI is still available and still useful at times.The differences between keyboards is important because early terminal emulators were targeted at people who were used to using terminal keyboards.

Therefore the terminal emulators based their operation more on location of key than on key-markings.

How to wire a panel mount fuse holder full version

The Windows, and Fn keys are later additions. The key marked Fn here is usually marked as a Windows context-menu button. The above is a US arrangement.

Best fixed power scope for long range shooting

Most countries have different arrangements to better support other languages or locales. Below is a UK arrangement which is very similar. A lot of popular terminal emulators emulate a vt or vt These terminals mostly had a keyboard that looked like this. Note that there are 20 function keys but the first few F1-F5 are dedicated to local functions and did not control application programs as they did not send any escape sequences.

Diagram of DEC LK keyboard layout Note that there are 20 function keys but the first few F1-F5 are dedicated to local functions and did not control application programs as they did not send any escape sequences.The series replaced the successful VT series, providing more functionality in a much smaller unit with a much smaller and lighter keyboard. Among its major upgrades was a number of international character sets, as well as the ability to define new character sets.

The VT series was extremely successful in the market. The VT improved on the earlier VT series of terminals with a redesigned keyboard, much smaller physical packaging, and a much faster microprocessor.

The VTs, like the VT50s before them, had been packaged in relatively large cases that provided room for expansion systems.

The VTs abandoned this concept, and wrapped the much smaller s-era electronics tightly around the CRT. The result was a truncated pyramidal case with the apex at the back, only slightly larger than the CRT. This made it much easier to fit the terminal on a desk. An adjustable stand allowed the angle of the CRT to be adjusted up and down. Because it was lower than head height, the result was an especially ergonomic terminal. The LK keyboard supplied with the VT was one of the first full-length, low-profile keyboards available; it was developed at DEC's RoxburyMassachusetts facility.

VT220 VT320 terminal emulation software

It was much smaller and lighter than the VTs version, and connected to the terminal using a lighter and more flexible coiled cable and a telephone jack connector. The VTs were the last DEC terminals to provide a 20mA current loop serial interfacean older standard originally developed for the telegraph system but became popular on computers due to the early use of Teletype Model 33 's as ad hoc terminals. A standard pin D-connector was also provided for RS Only one of the two ports could be in use at a given time.

The VT was designed to be compatible with the VTbut added features to make it more suitable for an international market. This was accomplished by including a number of different character sets that could be selected among using a series of ANSI commands.

Distinct IntelliTerm for VT100, VT220, VT320, VT420 for Windows - Home

Glyphs were formed within a 10 by 10 grid. The terminal shipped with a total of characters in its ROM, each one formed from an 8 by 10 pixel glyph. Using only 8 of the columns added space between the characters.

When operating on an 8-bit clean link up to character codes were available, which included a full set of European characters. But when operating on a typical 7-bit link, only were available, and only 96 of these produced display output as the rest were control characters.

This was not enough characters to handle all European languages. Most terminals solved this by shipping multiple complete character sets in ROMbut there was a cost in doing so. DEC's solution to this problem, NRCS, allowed individual characters glyphs in the base set of 96 7-bit characters to be swapped out. The terminal included 14 such replacement sets, most of which swapped out about a dozen characters. Data for the glyphs was sent by encoding a set of six vertical pixels into a single character code, and then sending many of these Sixels to the terminal, which decoded them into the character set memory.

In later models, the same sixel concept would be used to send bitmapped graphics as well. Character graphics were a common example of these downloaded sets. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Archived from the original on By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie PolicyPrivacy Policyand our Terms of Service. It only takes a minute to sign up.

For example, xterm usually supports colors, but vt doesn't. You can test this by pressing z inside top. In the same way, vt has more features than vt For example, vt doesn't seem to support F11 and F The full list varies from system to system. If none of those work, you could also look at ncurses' terminfo. But unless your terminal looks like this or thisthere's only a few others you might want to use:.

Sign up to join this community. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top. Home Questions Tags Users Unanswered. Ask Question. Asked 7 years, 8 months ago. Active 1 year, 1 month ago. Viewed 66k times. I tried vt, vt, vt, and xterm by using top.

But I can't find their difference. Is there any other term type? What's their difference? Active Oldest Votes. But unless your terminal looks like this or thisthere's only a few others you might want to use: xterm-color - if you're on an older system and colors don't work puttykonsoleEtermrxvtgnomeetc.

Mikel Mikel Is that the full list of terminal type? These are common ones. Anyone can invent a new terminal type, in principle. Most of them are highly exotic. Binzxxxxxx Apr 7 '16 at I had one with orange on black! Kusalananda The first one having colors was vt All the vt you can find are white, green or orange, depending on the phosphors used Hemant Patel Hemant Patel 1 1 silver badge 2 2 bronze badges.

Did Mac OS have the terminfo directory?

Custom xbox one controller skins with pictures

Tao Nov 4 '18 at Sign up or log in Sign up using Google.